Skip to main content

Wiley interview by Marvin Sparks pt.2 [cutting room floor]

So, as some of you will know, I interviewed grime godfather back in February this year from American website LargeUp.com (child of Questlove's OkayPlayer) about his reggae and dancehall foundations. You can read that here. Today, as Wiley will be announced as UK's #1 single this week, I thought "Let me release a little bit more from that interview". 


I like this because he recalls classic songs that stood out when attending family parties as a youngster prior to the soca-fused chart-topping single "Heatwave". It also leads neatly into next bashment-fused single "Ninja" which will feature Sneakbo, whom he speaks of highly in this interview. Please note, this is before Drake mentioned liking Sneakbo's dancehall vibe.


Marvin Sparks: Do you remember your first time on the mic?

Wiley: "Yeah! I can remember just being at home with my dad and he’s got that riddim [beatboxes Sleng Teng riddim then imitates a typical ‘80s dancehall toasting style]. I had that in me. I wouldn’t have done it in front of anyone apart from my uncles, if we were in a park I would have done it there, but then I might not have done it in front of my mum. I was called Ketchie Poo [laughs]."

Marvin Sparks: So when did you start going to raves?

Wiley: "I remember they used play dancehall at every christening and they were like raves to me anyway. When I got older, I used to go to a rave called “Jungle vs. Ragga” which was at Belair - it’s called Club Space, but it used to be called Belair on Waterden Road [east London]. I was only really young, I went to Waltham Forest College, so I remember [MC] Maxwell D, whoever I used to go with, we used to meet there and rave it out.

That is the first time I raved without my parents, without my dad, on my own. I went out on Old Kent Road, I’m mad, I used to go to them Yardie raves where you could smoke weed in the club - you can never do that in a club now."

Marvin Sparks: What did you like about those events?

Wiley: "I’ll tell you the truth, that gave me the energy to be who I am today. [Popular Jungle entertaners] DJ Bruckie and MC Det, that whole thing instilled a package in my brain that I still use today. If you hear me doing a dancehall tune, I could have [rapped] dancehall as a child, I remember spitting a long to all the dancehall tunes, but as you get older, I realise I’ve got to rap how I speak. But sometimes I go back to the dancehall thing, because that’s what’s in me. It’s what’s in me."

Marvin Sparks: Would you say dancehall and grime share many things?

Wiley: "Dancehall and grime are very similar. People battle, people say whatever to each other - false or true - it’s very much like it. The only difference is that we are in England so people can’t be as reckless."

Marvin Sparks: You have a song on latest album Evolve or be Extinct called “Cheer Up, It’s Christmas”. Tell us about the family parties you had as a youngster. What were your standout memories and which songs stand out?

Wiley: "Yeah, fam! I come from a Trinidad & Tobago background on one-side of my family, so obviously I remember every soca and calypso song played from “Dollar Wine” [originally by Crazy, popularised by Byron Lee & The Dragonaires] to [Arrow] “Hot, Hot, Hot”, [Crazy] “Nanny Wine” and all that. They stay in my brain.

"Do you know what I do remember? When aunties used to whine up with the uncles [LAUGHS]. I used to see my uncles giving my aunties some whine! That made me laugh a lot. I used to say “Look at them crubbin’.”

Marvin Sparks: What do you make of the current resgurgence of UK bashment not only the likes of Gappy Ranks, Stylo G etc., but also artists like Sneakbo and Ratlin rapping over dancehall beats?

Wiley: "I like Sneakbo, you know why? He is a spearhead. He is a figure who stands for something. On the streets of south London, for whatever reason he stands for something. Fear him or love him, whatever you wanna say. Sneakbo has become someone naturally. He gets high views, he doesn’t need labels or anything to get his views, he’s getting natural views. He’s special. That isn’t because of his ability, his name, what it stands for, has brought them fans to him and he works hard.

If Sneakbo didn’t work hard, he wouldn’t be there. He’s like me, he will vocal, and vocal and vocal until he’s blue in the face because he knows “I’m bussing mic”. He’s coming from the Nigerian side where he could have been a rapper or the dancehall angle, but he loves dancehall! And that is a south London thing. He was never gonna get away from that. Dancehall had to be in his skin."






Wiley - big up yourself my g. They counted you out many times, but your persevered with the music thing and got your first solo number 1 (third including the two with Roll Deep). Still got another piece of this to drop which may prove a tad controversial.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marvin Sparks x Raekwon interview

Wu-Tang's in-house "Chef" better known as Raekwon proved he is still a force to be mentioned alongside the hottest rappers in the hip hop game with the release of Only Built For Cuban Linx... pt. II - sequel to his 1995 debut album. Marvin Sparks caught up with the hip hop legend to discuss rapping for drug dealers, people caring "more about stats than raps", his inclusion in MTV's Top 10 Hottest Rappers list, and converting to Islam. Marvin Sparks: It has been almost fifteen years since the first Only Built For Cuban Linx, an album that was a 5-mic classic when The Source magazine held weight. Why did you decide make a sequel?

Why Cheetah Woods, whhyyyy?!?!?!

We must all know about the predator nyamin woman (no bowcat reference intended - or am I lying? *shudders*). Anyone heard the voicemail he left for the girl he's been PARrin (there was a golf reference there) his wife with? Easy now my selekta as we rinse some tunes for di one name Tiger. Man like him doesn't know how to play. (By The Endz not Ruff Sqwad) How you gonna leave a voicemail for a girl with your real name at the beginning? Do you want to be held to ransom? Man from 'the ends' know (in the words of Kano) "That's slippin'!" And when isht hits the fan (like it has) he's buggered. Not something I deal in but surely the point of cheating is for an assortment of ladies. All his ones look the same; blonde, no breast nor batty. Rachel Uchitel bawlin at the scene of 9/11 where her man (fiancee/boyfriend/husband) died The chick whose sold his voicemail on and can be heard above The wifey (why cheat on her with the ones above I'll never kno

Remember When Riddims Were King

Before you read, thank you for your interest and hope you enjoy. I actually fleshed it out into a book. You can get your copy from www.nolongstories.com   Now for what you came here for... When Riddims Were King 23rd May 2020 will be remembered in history for one of the most epic events in one of our universe's darkest times. We will never forget the night dancehall kings and former extremely heated rivals, Beenie Man and Bounty Killer, battled on the Verzuz platform built by hall-of-fame producers, Timbaland and Swizz Beatz. An unfiltered, 360-degree view on Jamaican dancehall events was showcased; DJ’s and dancing (Beenie Man’s daughter Desha Ravers) to deejay’s clashing on the same riddims. The latter elements provided the jewels in the night’s highlight reel, and undoubtedly the best thing to happen on the Verzuz series. Word spread like guava jelly within the dancehall community and Jamaican diaspora upon announcement. Not only was it a clash between the longest and fier